The pionones They were created at the Casa Ysla bakery in Santa Fe.in Granada, by Ceferino Isla, who gave them their peculiar name in honor of Pope Pius IX, and they began to be sold in 1897. They are delicious snacks and not too cloying contrary to what it may seem.
This is one very typical and simple Andalusian recipe. It doesn’t have much mystery, but it is necessary to have some skill with griddle-type cakes, since we have to achieve a spongy but consistent texture at the same time, so that it doesn’t crumble when unmolded.
He pastry yolk filling We will leave it as is, to taste the flavor of the yolks, or we can add a little cinnamon to taste to give it another touch of flavor.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Total time: 1 hour (plus 2 hours of rest in the refrigerator)
- Rations: 8 units
- Category: cake shop
- Type of cuisine: andalusian
- Calories per serving (kcal): 245
Ingredients of Santa Fe piononos
For the pastry yolk:
- 4 eggs M
- 90 g of water
- 180 g white sugar
- 15 g of corn flour (Maizena type)
For the syrup:
- 30 g white sugar
- 30 g of water
For the sponge cake:
- 3 eggs M
- 60 g whole milk
- 60 g white sugar
- 20 g wheat flour
- 60 g of corn flour (Maizena type)
How to make Santa Fe pionones
We will start by preparing the pastry yolk. To do this, we put 4 M eggs and 90 grams of water in a saucepan. We mix very well.
Next, we add 180 grams of white sugar and 15 grams of corn flour, and integrate into the mixture.
Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring constantly until it thickens. We transfer to a bowl and cover with transparent film. Let it cool at room temperature.Marina Corma
We prepare the syrup by putting 30 grams of white sugar and 30 grams of water in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and when the sugar dissolves, remove from heat. We let it cool completely.
While the syrup cools, we prepare the sponge cake. Preheat the oven to 180ºC with heat up and down. We grease and line the base of the baking tray with parchment paper, set aside.Marina Corma
We separate the yolks and whites of 3 M eggs.Marina Corma
We mix the 3 yolks with 60 grams of whole milk until they are completely integrated, set aside.Marina Corma
We beat the 3 egg whites with 60 grams of white sugar until they are stiff, set aside.Marina Corma
Sift 20 grams of wheat flour and 60 grams of corn flour over the egg whites.
We integrate into the mix with enveloping movements.Marina Corma
When the flour is completely integrated, we pour the mixture of yolks and milk and integrate it completely into the mixture with enveloping movements.Marina Corma
Pour the dough onto the lined tray and smooth it carefully so as not to break the air bubbles in the dough. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until we see the edges turning slightly golden.Marina Corma
We remove from the oven and place a sheet of parchment paper of the same size on the cake, turn it over and unmold. If the sides of the cake are stuck, carefully separate them with a spatula before unmolding.Marina Corma
We carefully peel off the parchment paper with which we had baked the cake. Next, we brush the cake with the syrup that will have already cooled.
We spread a uniform layer of pastry yolk about 2-3 mm thick across the entire cake sheet. We reserve the rest of the pastry yolk to top the piononos.Marina Corma
We roll the long part, pressing lightly so that it is a very compact roll. We wrap the roll with transparent film and put it in the refrigerator for a couple of hours so that it becomes a little firm.Marina Corma
After the resting time, we cut the roll into 8 portions of approximately 4 cm.Marina Corma
We put the rest of the pastry yolk in a bag. We stand the cupcakes up and put a portion of the yolk on each one.Marina Corma
Sprinkle 30 grams of white sugar over the yolk topping and toast it with a blowtorch.
We serve.Marina Corma
Easy Preparation Summary
- We mix the eggs with the water
- Add the sugar and corn flour, mix well
- We thicken, remove from heat, cover with film and let cool.
- We prepare the syrup
- Grease and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- We separate the yolks and the whites
- We mix the yolks with the milk
- We whip the egg whites with the sugar
- We sift the wheat flour and corn flour
- We integrate with enveloping movements
- We add the yolk mixture and integrate with enveloping movements.
- We transfer the mixture to the baking tray, smooth it out and bake for 8-10 minutes at 180ºC.
- We place a sheet of parchment paper on the cake, turn it over and unmold it.
- We peel off the parchment paper with which we had baked the cake and brush it with the syrup
- We spread a layer of pastry yolk on the cake
- We roll up, wrap in film and put in the refrigerator for about 2 hours.
- We cut into portions
- We stand the cupcakes up and decorate with a little pastry yolk
- We sprinkle them with sugar and toast them with a blowtorch.
- We serve