There is nothing better than cooking with seasonal products: the preparations are much tastier and tastier, and we will be selling foods with a lot of supply that we will find in the market at a very good price. Now that we say goodbye to summer, we are going to take advantage of the last plums by making a cake and thus say goodbye to them until next year.
There are many versions of plum cakes but the one we are going to make this time is traditional Anglo-Saxon cuisine and its preparation process is very simple and fast. It is a cake that uses shortcrust pastry, which is covered with macerated plums and these in turn covered by a lattice with the same dough.
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Total time: 55 minutes
- Rations: 6
- Category: cake shop
- Type of cuisine: international
- Calories: 222 kcal per 100 g
Ingredients for plum cake for 6 people
- 2 circular shortcrust pastry bases
- 550 g red plums
- 45 g brown cane sugar
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 30 g oat flakes
- 25 ml of milk
- 15 g cornstarch
- 10 ml lemon juice
- 1 dessert spoon of cinnamon
How to make plum cake
The first thing we have to do to make the plum cake is wash and remove the seeds from the fruits. We will cut them into small pieces and place them in a plate or deep container.
On top of the chopped plums we add the brown sugar, corn starch and lemon juice.@Latoneira
We mix until the chopped plums are completely coated and let them marinate for 10-15 minutes.
With the help of a fluted cutter, we cut one of the shortcrust pastry bases into strips one centimeter wide. If we do not have said cutter we can do it with a knife.
We cover the base of a 20 centimeter diameter circular mold with a sheet of baking paper and on top we place the other base of shortcrust pastry, adjusting it well to the walls of the mold.
We cover the base of the cake with the oat flakes and on top of them the macerated plums with all their juices.@Latoneira
We form a lattice with the strips of shortcrust pastry that we had cut and place it covering the entire surface of the cake.
We cut the dough that protrudes from the mold, sealing the entire perimeter well so that it does not come off during baking. We brush the lattice with milk and distribute the butter in small pieces over the entire surface.@Latoneira
Bake in a preheated oven at 200ºC with heat up and down, with a fan for 25 minutes or until the surface turns a light golden color.@Latoneira
We remove the cake from the oven and unmold it onto a rack to prevent the base of the cake from condensing and getting moist inside the mold.
We wait a few minutes for it to cool before serving it to consume.@Latoneira
Easy Preparation Summary
- Wash and remove the seeds from the plums. Cut them into small pieces and put them in a deep container.
- Add the brown sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice to the chopped plums.
- Mix until all the plum pieces are completely coated and marinate for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut one of the shortcrust pastry bases into strips one centimeter wide.
- Cover a 20 centimeter diameter circular mold with the other shortcrust pastry base, molding the dough to the mold.
- Pour the oat flakes into the base of the cake and the macerated plums with all their juices.
- Cover with the strips of shortcrust pastry forming a lattice
- Cut the excess dough, seal the edges, brush the entire surface with milk and distribute pieces of butter all over the lattice.
- Bake at 200ºC with top and bottom heat with fan for 25 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- Unmold the cake onto a rack to cool before serving.